Welcome to BobCon!
The summer is flying by, but don't forget to mark you calendars for BobCon 2013, this October 25-27th. The doors open at noon Friday and close at 2pm Sunday. By popular demand the event will once again be held at The Coves Clubhouse in North Kansas City! Last year's BobCon was a tremendous success, and there's no reason this year's can't be even better! More role playing (including Pathfinder Society games), more board games, more card games, more video games, and more miniatures battles than ever before! Several marquee events, out-of-state guests, old friends, new friends, and the ever-popular Farmer's Market Cook-Off will round out the fun. Don't miss it!Add a comment
The BobCon St. Patty's Day Texas Hold'em tournament was again a success!
We had 8 players and brought in $110 for BobCon ($200 in buy-ins and 2 re-buys for $230, minus the $120 payout). We had a great time playing with old friends, and all played around a single large table this time. This year 10,000 in chips were available at the beginning, and because of this rebuys also garnered 10,000 more chips. The final four where Terry Eldred, Jeff Gilbert, Bob Iliff, and Brad Kelley. In the end Terry's calm and collected playing style carried the day for first place, with Bob Iliff coming in second, followed by Jeff Gilbert third.
Once again, the level of play is getting better. Rebuys are again down, as folks are staying in longer than usual before losing their stash. This is a good thing, though, as everyone wins when the calibre of players is higher.
Our next tournament will be this summer, probably in August or September again since BobCon is in October.
And thanks to everyone who participated... you help make BobCon happen!
Less than two weeks until BobCon 2012!
October 26 - 28
DGS Games Demos
We want to call special attention to local miniatures shop DGS Games who will be showing their wares and demoing their skirmish system throughout the con. No sign-up is required for the demos, and they don't show up on the event list, so heads up!
From DGS Games: Fortune has smiled on you. The high lord has granted your wish. You hold a Freeblade warrant for the first time. With your Freeband assembled, you go forth to pursue adventure, plunder and profit on behalf of king and country. Join DGS Games and play Freeblades, a unique 32mm fantasy skirmish miniatures game. Bring friends and experience our amazing Tiered Dice©game system. Players will command a Freeband of 6-8 miniatures pitted head-to-head against an opposing Freeband. No experience needed. Rules taught. All miniatures and materials to play provided.
A new marquee event has been added Saturday night that we wanted to call attention to!
From the description: A game of Eclipse places you in control of a vast interstellar civilization, competing for success with its rivals. You will explore new star systems, research technologies, and build spaceships to wage war with. There are many potential paths to victory, so you need to plan your strategy according to the strengths and weaknesses of your species, while paying attention to the other civilizations' endeavors. Which faction will emerge victorious and lead the galaxy under its rule? The shadows of the great civilizations are about to eclipse the galaxy. Lead your people to victory!
» Register now!
Event Submission ClosedEvent submission has officially closed. If you have a new event to submit, or a change to a previously submitted event, please contact Dave Phillips, or event coordinator.
There are a few key things everyone should know about Registration. Hopefully these will help you jump into some of the cool events we have available this year.
- Create an account once – Once you create an account (and click the link on the confirmation email to activate), you are good to go – for years to come. Please make a note of your account information.
- You should register for your own event – unless you are not planning to play (i.e. your are the GM for an RPG or you are teaching).
- Don't hesitate to be an alternate – if a board game fills up and we have another copy, a second game can be run. Plus, sometimes people are just unable to play in a game they are registered for.
- Modify your schedule – you can add or drop events all they way up until October 24, the Wednesday before BobCon.
Relax, Socialize and Have Fun
BobCon is about getting together with friends and having a good time. THAT IS ITS PURPOSE. We know that everyone's schedule is hectic. There are kid's sporting events/tournaments, school activities, weddings, etc. We hold BobCon because many of us simply cannot take the time to go off to a convention. This is local (for most) and laid back. It gives us an opportunity to see friends. Please consider coming even if it is only for one evening during your busy weekend. After a long day at a sports tournament, it might be nice to relax with friends. We definitely want to see you. And do NOT feel that money is an issue, we will not turn away anyone if they can't pay or it just doen't make sense for them to (they are coming by to socialize). WE WANT YOU THERE!Add a comment
Four weeks until BobCon 2012 – October 26-28!
Event Registration is live and ready for you to begin making your schedule and signing up for the events in which you want to participate! There is still time to Submit an Event in order to make sure the games you want to play are offered. It is easy to do and BobCon will be the better for it.
The Event Schedule is Live
The initial 2012 Event Schedule is now online and ready for your planning perusal. Our event coordinator, Dave Phillips, has done another great job of lining up events for the weekend. But the list isn’t final – we can always use more events. That is where you come in! Run an adventure in your favorite role-playing system or simply make sure there is a game of <insert favorite game here> on the schedule. This convention is about playing the games you want to play. Check out the BobCon Game Library to see what we have available if you need any ideas. You can Submit Events right now! Event submission will be taken through October 12, but don’t wait.
Register a User Name
In order to sign up for events, each attendee will need to login to the site. The first time you do so, you will need to register for a user name. If you signed up last year your information will still be there. Once you do, you will be sent an email with a link to follow in order to validate your new user name (this keeps the bots out). Once that is done, you are ready to load up your schedule. The great thing this new systems does is keep all of your event choices readily available. That way if you login later to add or change an event, your current choices are already pre-populated.
Don't Miss Out
Most of the events have limits on the number of players it can support. Register early so you do not get left out of the games you really want to play. Alternates will be taken, of course, just in case someone doesn't show or gets delayed in another event. We will also try to run a second table if we have enough players and additional copies of the game. But don't take the chance – Register NOW! Remember, you can always add to your Event List later.
Some Awesome Events are Lined Up
Here are just of a taste of what we will have this year. Check out the Event List for the current offerings.
- Pathfinder Society – Seth Brummond of the Pathfinder Society will be on hand this year running a ton of events to get you emersed in Paizo's Pathfinder. Get found with the Pathfinder Society!
- DGS Games Demos – DGS Games, a great local game company, will be on hand to show their awesome miniatures and demo their skirmishes system. Come out and see what all the buzz is about!
- The Friday Night Wine Tasting is back again. What a great way to start the convention.
- Jyhad/Vampire: The Eternal Struggle Card Game – Resident antideluvian Joe Austion will provide pre-built decks, so have no fear! Beginners are welcome (and encouraged).
- Midnight Mythos Mayhem – Enter the mouth of madness once more with this wonderful Cthulhu-themed card game. Resident planeswalker Bob Iliff is providing cards, and beinners are encouraged! Hold on to your sanity!
- Farmer's Market Cook-Off – Another BobCon tradition. Show off those chef skills you learned from the Food Network and let the attendees crown the top chef.
- BobCon Clue – Someone has killed Bob! And they're still at the convention! It's up to six stalwart BobCon regulars to figure out who dunnit. This is the classic boardgame Clue customized for BobCon. Did you know there's a secret passage from the kitchen to the basement? Come see if it was Professor Justice with the Wine Bottle in the Study. You've lived the con, now play the game!
We are getting excited and hope you are too!
--The BobCon StaffAdd a comment