Welcome to BobCon!
Four weeks until BobCon 2013 – October 25 - 27!
Event Registration live and ready for you to begin making your schedule and signing up for the events in which you want to participate! It is also time to Submit an Event in order to make sure the games you want to play are offered. It is easy to do and BobCon will be the better for it.
The Event Schedule is Live
The initial 2013 Event Schedule is now online and ready for your planning perusal. Our event coordinator, Aaron Guerra, has done a great job of lining up events for the weekend. But the list isn’t final – we can always use more events. That is where you come in! Run an adventure in your favorite role-playing system or simply make sure there is a game of <insert favorite game here> on the schedule. This convention is about playing the games you want to play. Check out the BobCon Game Library to see a partial list of what we have available if you need any ideas. You can Submit Events right now! Event submission will be taken through Friday, October 11, but don’t wait.
Register a User Name
In order to sign up for events, each attendee will need to login to the site. The first time you do so, you will need to register for a user name. If you signed up last year your information will still be there. Once you do, you will be sent an email with a link to follow in order to validate your new user name (this keeps the bots out). Once that is done, you are ready to load up your schedule. The great thing this new systems does is keep all of your event choices readily available. That way if you login later to add or change an event, your current choices are already pre-populated.
Don't Miss Out
Most of the events have limits on the number of players it can support. Register early so you do not get left out of the games you really want to play. Alternates will be taken, of course, just in case someone doesn't show or gets delayed in another event. We will also try to run a second table if we have enough players and additional copies of the game. But don't take the chance – Register NOW! Remember, you can always add to your Event List later.
Some Awesome Events are Lined Up
Here are just of a taste of what we will have this year. Check out the Event List for the current offerings.
- Pathfinder Society – Seth Brummond of the Pathfinder Society will be on hand this year running several events to get you emersed in Paizo's Pathfinder. Get found with the Pathfinder Society!
- We Be Goblins – Bill Boldt takes you for a ride on the wild side. You're a goblin just trying to get a break in the wilds of Varisia. A two-part adventure!
- The Friday Night Wine Tasting is back again. What a great way to start the convention.
- Midnight Mythos Mayhem – Enter the mouth of madness once more with this wonderful Cthulhu-themed card game. Resident planeswalker Bob Iliff is providing cards, and beginners are encouraged! Hold on to your sanity!
- Farmer's Market Cook-Off – Another BobCon tradition. Show off those chef skills you learned from the Food Network and let the attendees crown the top chef.
- Fiasco! – Billy Littlepage returns for another year and this time he's got a caper for you to plan! What stupid, disastrous situation awaits?
- Sunday Morning Roundtable – Solve the world's problems while enjoying coffee and doughnuts with Brad Warriner!
- Apple Cider to Apple Cider – Play Apples to Apples while drinking hot apple cider provided by Sheri Tindle!
- Monsterhearts – Ryan Perrin will introduce you to the award-winning Monsterhearts RPG!
- Plus tons of pick up board games and kids activities!
Policy ChangesWe have a couple of new policy items worth mentioning, both good!
- Kids 12 and under are free! In the past, if kids were old enough to play games then their parents were sort of expected to pay admission for them (we scrimp and beg each year to pay for the facility). We don't think anyone ever had an issue with this, but this year we're making things a little simpler for parents with a clear kids are free policy. Yay!
- No pets allowed. However, crated dogs are allowed if a hardship condition exists. Approval must be requested in advance, the dog must remain crated while inside the facility, and you must clean up after him/her with your own equipment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
We are getting excited and hope you are too!
--The BobCon Staff
BobCon is just around the corner and it is time to prepare! Seriously, BobCon is just over a month away and preparations for the weekend of fun have begun. Over the next several weeks (okay, six), you will probably receive emails galore (updates, reminders, announcements, etc.). We will try to keep them to a minimum but we want you to be as informed as possible.
Event Submission is Live
We are now officially accepting event submissions. Many of you have already been approached by our event coordinator, Aaron Guerra, to run something. But if not then head on over to the site, register for a site account if you don't have one, and submit an event. We want, nay need, more events. That is where you come in! Run your favorite board game or simply make sure there is a game of <insert favorite game here> on the schedule. Always wanted to play a certain game? Someone in the group will have it! Submit the event and we'll check around for a copy. This convention is about playing the games you want to play. Check out the BobCon Game Library to see some of what we have available if you need any ideas.
You can Submit Events right now! Event submission will be taken through October 10, but don’t wait.
Event Registration Coming September 27
Now that the events are posted you might ask, "When can I sign up so that I don't miss out on getting into Candyland?" The Event Sign-up form should go live September 27. A reminder will be sent out that weekend, too.
How Much to Get In?
With the help of last year’s Game Auction and our Spring and Summer Texas Hold’em Tournaments we were able to keep admission for BobCon to only $5 per day or $10 for the whole weekend. You can use the donation button on the website to pay ahead of time. We are also happy to accept any additional donations – anything you contribute to BobCon is much appreciated! As in prior years, we'd rather you be there than not, so if cost is a problem then come on out and we'll get you in one way or another.
Out of Town Guests
It looks like we will have several out-of-town attendees again this year. It is great to have enough interest in BobCon to be able to draw from outside the local area. This year we were able to avoid NASCAR Weekend at the Kansas Speedway and RenFest, which means local hotels should be easier to book. Don’t wait, though. If you need help arranging lodging, give us a call (Brad's cell: 816-529-3096). We have many options and no one will be left out in the cold (nor have to pay ridiculous prices). The sooner I hear from you, the better.
The BobCon Council has been working hard to make BobCon 2013 another great weekend. We look forward to seeing you all there!
-The BobCon Staff
The Summer Texas Hold'em tournament was again a success!
We had 9 players and brought in $180 for BobCon ($225 in buy-ins and 6 re-buys for $315, minus the $135 payout). We had a great time playing with old friends, and all played around a single large table this time. 10,000 in chips were available again at the beginning this time, and rebuys also garnered 10,000 more chips. The final four where Jeff Gilbert, John Carlton, Brad Kelley, and Tim Nadon. Once the bubble was settled, Jeff and John quickly knocked off the the others and settled into a prolonged two-man game of brinkmanship. In the end Jeff (forever shamed by his rebuy) carried for first place, with John coming in second, followed by Brad third.
Once again, the level of play is getting better. Folks are staying in longer and this is a good thing. As we always say... everyone wins when the calibre of players is higher.
Thanks to everyone who participated... you help make BobCon happen!Add a comment
Sponsorship and events are being lined up now. Know anyone interested in sponsoring or contributing prizes? Send them our way. Our Events Coordinator is hitting folks up now to run events. Events are what makes BobCon great, so please consider running something! In the original years of BobCon, each attendee was expected to run, or "sponsor," an event. It would be great to get back to the level of involvement! Event submission opens September 13, so look for an announcement then! We hope to see everyone there this fall!Add a comment